Saturday 27 August 2011

Week 35 - Saturday

Week 35 – Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th August – Reading Festival – Richfield Avenue, Reading - £200

Reading Festival – Saturday

“I’ve just been ID’d by a boy whose face was covered in glitter. . .”

How young is young? I’m twenty four, which is only old to young people, and as I’m not young I don’t think it’s old. “Old enough to know better, young enough not to care,” as the slogan on my old Fido Dido pyjamas read. Admittedly, I haven’t worn those pyjamas in at least ten days, but the sentiment is still fresh. 

I consider myself to be too young to do certain things, such as complain about young people or grow facial hair, and too old to do others, for instance, get ID’d at a music festival full of sixteen-eighteen year olds. 

How wrong I was. 

By Sunday, I was condemning the nation’s youth and for the first time in a long time (honestly) I was ID’d. I even had a couple of hairs poking out of my chin.
-------
 
Saturday was an especially straightforward day to plan and describe. While the five minor stages had plenty of good bands playing we decided to base ourselves at the Main Stage for the entire day, considering that we were pretty hungover and lazy and the line-up wasn’t too shabby.

That line-up began in style with The Joy Formidable who Sandro and I saw for the fourth time this year. Even a restraining order couldn’t keep us away and this time we saw them joined by a life-sized model goat on stage, which was nice. A band I’d almost completely forgotten followed them. The Pigeon Detectives aren’t the most interesting or experimental band but they had enough crowd-pleasing tunes to justify their place on the bill, ‘Romantic Type’ my personal pick.

An entirely different proposition followed them, in the form of bluesman Seasick Steve, who was joined by Led Zeppelin legend John Paul Jones. Steve showed that he is the romantic type as he chose a lady from the crowd and serenaded her with a love song on stage. 

Sal and I then had a chance to catch up with Two Door Cinema Club, having missed their finale two months ago. ‘I Can Talk’ and others were every bit as enjoyable as expected and it would have been crazy of us not to stick around for Madness who inspired huge cheers when they began with ‘One Step Beyond’. We wandered off for food while they played some of their lesser known stuff but returned in time for ‘House of Fun’, ‘Baggy Trousers’, ‘Our House’, ‘It Must Be Love’ and ‘Madness’ which they played in a pretty impressive row.
-------

Sandro resisted the urge to head to the Alternative Stage to murder Lee Nelson, and we moved a little closer to the Main Stage for the supposed Godfathers of Emo, Jimmy Eat World. There were lots of Jimmy fans present who seemed to know every word of every song, while I barely knew the choruses of their final three, ‘Bleed American’, ‘The Middle’ and ‘Sweetness’.

I was a lot more familiar with The National’s set list, with half of it made up of songs from their latest album High Violet, including the excellent opening combo of ‘Anyone’s Ghost’ and ‘Bloodbuzz Ohio’ and the closer ‘Terrible Love’. In between were a mix of songs from four of their five albums. Singer Matt Berninger acknowledged someone in the crowd who was holding an inflatable alligator, regardless of whether it was actually a nod to their third album or if the individual concerned just liked inflatable alligators.

By that time we’d moved in front of the central barrier that separated the hardcore fans from the hardercore fans, and in front of us was a man possessed of a particularly hard core, who wore a T-shirt that Sal mistook as an homage to Indiana Jones. It bore the words ‘David Attenborough for World Leader’ on the back.
It was around this time that I popped to the bar to get a round in, and I was served by a young boy surely no older than nine, whose face was covered with glitter and multi-coloured face paints.

“Three ciders please little boy,” I said respectfully.

“Don’t patronise me you two’at,” I thought I heard him mutter as he retrieved some pre-filled cups.

“Can I see some I.D?” he asked me suspiciously.

Now, I’m definitely too young to say “I’ll take that as a compliment,” and I’m definitely too old to say “It’s my 18th birthday tomorrow, honestly!”
 
“I.D? I’m old enough to be your father sunshine,” I replied instead.

“Yeah? Well my father’s seventeen, so I can’t serve him,” he responded with a smirk, which may have been true. Regardless, in a highly dignified manner, I showed him my I.D and no serious harm was done to my reputation, although to my left, a couple of people wearing over-18 wristbands couldn’t hide their sneers.
-------

After The National departed there was a fairly long break, while a curtain was raised across the front of the stage. With the use of some pink lights, words began to flitter across it. They weren’t very clear, but I adjusted to HD vision (which involves squinting) and just about made out the most important words which were Pulp and ‘Do You Remember the First Time?’

That song was the perfect start to a brilliant gig (although of course Sal and San insisted they’d been even better at Glastonbury). They drew heavily from their most successful album, Different Class, and the incomparable Jarvis Cocker was as entertaining between songs as most bands are during songs. “The group is called Pulp,” he said as the crowd chanted his name.

Joyride’ was dedicated to those brave rioters from a few weeks earlier; who Jarvis suggested weren’t actually rioting, but were just playing Grand Theft Auto outdoors. ‘Mis-Shapes’, a particular favourite of Salazar’s was next, and Cocker declared that it was seventeen years to the day since they’d first played here. “Who was here?” he asked. “Let me rephrase that: who was born?” 

I was, but I wouldn’t have been old enough to understand the lyrics to their next song, ‘Pencil Skirt’ which Jarvis described as a “dirty little number,” and was juxtaposed with the love song ‘Something Changed’ that followed, which I’m also still too young to understand.
-------

More of their greatest hits followed, including ‘Sorted For E’s and Wizz’, ‘F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E.’, ‘I Spy’, Babies’ and ‘Underwear’ before Sheffield singer-songwriter and former Pulp member, Richard Hawley was introduced to the crowd on guitar, though many will have already spotted his distinctive quiff. During ‘This Is Hardcore’, Jarvis climbed and straddled a pair of speakers, displaying some impressive pelvic thrusts for a 47 year old. 

Following a couple more songs, they came at last to their final song, which was of course their biggest hit and undoubted classic, ‘Common People’. Jarvis referred back to their show seventeen years ago where they’d played it at Reading for the first time and he was told “You’ve written one there.” He said he didn’t even care if it turned out to be the only song Pulp are remembered for. “It’s a good song,” he reasoned, “Black Lace are only remembered for ‘Agadoo’.”

Pulp were co-headlining with The Strokes, which meant that they’d be trading slots when they played Leeds festival the following day. Julian Casablancas suffered tonight by having to follow the other JC, but as ever the laconic New Yorker didn’t seem to care. If it’s fifteen years since Pulp’s peak, it’s ten year since The Strokes’. As a cool teenager, The Strokes were one of my favourite bands and Is This It? is comparable with anything by anyone.

I’d argue that the three albums they’ve made since, Room on Fire, First Impressions of Earth and Angles all contain brilliance, but are diluted with a bit of guff, which shouldn’t cause any problems during a headline set. Indeed, my first impression from the angle I was at, was that they were on fire, though Sandro asked “Is this it?” when they opened with the title track to the album that made them back in 2001 (A new low in the pages of Gigaweek?)
-------

They were indeed on fine form, calling on ‘New York City Cops’ to set a pretty high standard for this year’s brilliant comeback single ‘Under Cover of Darkness’ to follow and they continued to belt out their hits. ‘The Modern Age’, ‘Reptilia’, ‘Someday’, ‘You Only Live Once’, and ‘What Ever Happened?’ all featured before Julian invited Jarvis (or ‘The Jarv’ as he called him) out for a duet.

It was a cover of The Cars ‘Just What I Needed’ which I’m not sure if I’d ever heard before, and looking around at the youngsters present, I doubted I was alone. Julian suggested that they only had about ten minutes left, which is almost enough for a Strokes album, and they managed to squeeze in ‘Juicebox’, ‘Last Nite’, ‘Hard to Explain’ and ‘Take it or Leave it’ in a frantic and fantastic finale.

My only minor gripes were the absence of songs such as ‘12:51’, ‘Razorblade’ and ‘Taken for a Fool’ which would have comfortably nudged out ‘You’re So Right’, ‘Automatic Stop’ and ‘Alone, Together’ if I’d chalked up the set list myself. Among other delights, there was still a headline slot from Muse to look forward to, and with a stroke of luck they would be even better than the first time I saw them.
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment